Sunday, April 14, 2013

Starting Over

So. I've been a runner my whole life. I ran all through out grade school.. ran track and cross country in high school.. and continued running in college for Ohio University {Go Bobcats} After college.. I still ran A. LOT.  That is.. until sweet little Emersyn came into the mix. :)

When I found out I was pregnant I was coaching a girls high school cross country team. I should have trusted my body and continued to run - but when I was about 11 weeks pregnant I started worrying about how fast I was running/my heart rate/etc...{I worried about everything!}

Anyway - I was trying to keep up with our top girls to pace them - but I live in South Carolina.. it was Early September, extremely hot.. and I was towards the end of the 1st trimester. We were running around a 6:15 mile {So fast.} and I freaked. out.

I remember the exact moment.. I stopped after I heard the mile time.. the girls kept going.. and I spilled everything to a parent who was helping time us. She let me sit in her air conditioned car while I cried, cooled off, and tried to convince myself that I had NOT harmed Em.  {was I crazy? Yes.}

Needless to say.. after the melt down.. thinking I had ran too fast in crazy hot weather - my running stopped.

It started again when Em was about 6 or 7 weeks old because I began summer training with my girls.. but my body was just absolutely not ready. Running 100 meters was almost too much. I dreaded going to practice because I was sleep deprived/nursing/not wanting to run/etc. so that made it worse. I worked my way up through out the summer and made it to about 4 miles, but I still didn't feel like I was really ready for that step at all.

School started.. and teaching my firsties, mixed with taking care of Em, mixed with grading papers/adjusting to life as a mama/breastfeeding = running absolutely stopped.

And here I am.

Em is almost a year.. and since the summer I can probably count on both hands the amount of times I've ran. But that is all changing my friends! Running has been such a big part of my life and I've definitely noticed that it's been missing. Seriously. Missing. So this weekend I decided to stop making excuses {I'm the best at making excuses by the way} and started running again.


Anyway - just wanted to see if anyone else has gone through this and how you've kept yourself motivated? I'm motivated right now.. but it's a Sunday night and I've had the full weekend off.

Being a Mama changes everything. I'm still getting used to the adjustment of not having a lot of personal time - especially since we don't live near family. But sweet Em isn't going anywhere.. so I probably need to start getting my LIFE back together and include her in it! {aka..jogging stroller while she says HI to all of the passing trees/cars/people/mailboxes}.  Oh that little girl has my heart.

Speaking of Sweet Em...

We just LOVE coral.. and BabyGap+Extra 30% off Sale Price = Problem Amazing. :)

Happy Sunday! xo.

6 comments:

  1. I think I could have written this exact post! I can identify with everything you said! Funny thing is I made this same decision last week! I made 3 runs this week! I even felt motivated enough this week to run 5 miles today! I had no idea I could still do that! It was just beautiful and I was feeling it!
    We can hold each other accountable if you want! Just left me know your milage for the week!?!?
    Just letting you know that you are not alone!
    Katie
    godslittlegrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the BOB Ironman jogging stroller, It is expensive, but so easy to run with!

      Delete
  2. Good for you! I have been even more insanely busy than I was before when I already had plenty of excuses to not squeeze exercise in but I decided last week that I was going to at least get out and start walking all of our hilly dirt roads! I'm so not a runner and never have been but I walk at warp crack speed. Add a stroller and some hills to that and you've got yourself a decent workout! Keep up the good work and lets motivate each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is soo sweet! I am obsessed with coral too ! Love it! And girl I am so happy that you have decided to start running again. That is something I have always done too. When I first had my baby it was so hard to get back on the saddle. It has been soo much fun having a jogging stroller and including my son. It makes running that much more fun because you are doing it with your baby and you are being a fantastic role model ! If you invested in a jogging stroller you would regret it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a similar experience! I was not an avid runner before, but always active, and had played college basketball. I tried running for a while when I found out I was pregnant, but then the morning sickness and extreme fatigue kicked in. Cut back my miles, but continued to run a little here and there until it started causing contractions when I was still preterm! I've been able to run a mile or two here and there lately, but it's tough 9 months pregnant! I'm already signed up for a marathon in October, so I'll have to get right back to it after baby girl comes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome that you are getting back into running! I just had my 6 week checkup today, so I'm ready to start running again too! It really is hard to find time. You're lucky SC isn't getting snowstorms in April like we are here in MN! I would kill for a run outside.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips